Audrey Wood is one of my favorite authors. She and her husband, Bruce Wood and later her son, have together written countless wonderful books for young children. My personal favorite is King Bidgood's In the Bathtub but my kids loved Blue Sky.
Author Studies for the youngest children, in our house, means reading a collection by the same author. We read and re-read their stories aloud. We spend the most time on our favorites and do a few follow-up extensions based on these stories. As our children get older, our author studies will become more complex, but for now we are working on the understanding that a person writes a book and finding authors that we love and want to fill our house with their inspiring and entertaining words.
- Tiny Tots
Our Favorite Audrey Wood Books:
Quick as a Cricket
The Napping House
King Bidgood's in the Bathtub
Ten Little Fish
- Go outside and look up at the blue sky. Talk about what clouds you see or what kind of weather you are having.
- Draw a picture outside or while looking out the window
- Work together as a family to write and illustrate your own book.
- Say the "This Little Piggy" rhyme together
- Do something unusual in the bathtub: go fishing with magnetic fish, have a tea party, read books, dance (seated) to music