Author Study: Laura Numeroff
Read a collection of Laura Numeroff books. Here are the ones our toddlers most enjoyed.
(affiliate links are included below. Bambini Travel will receive a small commission if you purchase after clicking)
She has since written a series of these books, some better than others, but the original is clever. It is a simple cause-effect circular story that is humorous.
A sweet good night story. What do you count when the sheep are asleep? Loving ideas to settle down for the evening.
Two parallel stories that address the wonderful qualities of Uncles and Aunt. This is another series by Numeroff and we love all of them. She creatively uses the same text for each parallel story and illustrates them differently.
Same format as the above book. There is also a grandparent version and a brother/sister version
My kids love any book that involves singing and this is just such a book. Another sweet goodnight story in which they make up different versions to familiar tunes.
Make Our Own Book based on What _/_ Do Best Series
Fold white paper in half.
Gather the other materials listed, including copies of the books.
1. Read What Uncles/Aunts Do Best and What Daddies/Mommies Do Best.
2. We had a disscussion about the things they do well and made a list of things they believe they do best. These were then listed on the paper following the format of the original books (some on the flip side)
3. Next we took a picture of them doing each of the things listed (coloring, dancing, throwing a ball, etc).
4. We printed out the pictures we had just taken on our PictureMate photo printer and getting them in such an immediate way was a thrill. This step could also be done in a more delayed way and would still result in a fun book.
5. Then they illustrated the cover however they wanted with crayons and together we taped the pictures into the book. I stapled the edges and we were done. Off to our reading area to share our newly made book.
Author Studies for the youngest children, in our house, means reading a collection by the same author. We read and re-read their stories aloud. We spend the most time on our favorites and do a few follow-up extensions based on these stories. As our children get older, our author studies will become more complex, but for now we are working on the understanding that a person writes a book and finding authors that we love and want to fill our house with their inspiring and entertaining words.
Note: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase through these links, Bambini Travel will get a small commission.
Laura Numeroff Books Listed Below
Markers or Crayons
Photo Printer and Paper (optional, but exciting!)
* Do an activity based on one of these other activities from the Virtual Book Club
comments powered by Disqus