2330 S Lincoln Memorial Dr
Milwaukee, WI 53207
Time of Year:
Lots of seating, not a lot of privacy.
Child Friendly Food:
Fairly standard, okay food.
You can take an elevator up to the deck.
You can park your car or bring it on the ferry.
If you are heading between Michigan and Wisconsin, you might consider taking the Lake Express ferry. As awesome as that drive around Lake Michigan can be….the ferry is a fun alternative. It is a fairly quick 2 1/2 hour trip. We have traveled three times on the ferry with our children. They were 13 months old the first time we went and have enjoyed it each time. Our children adore walking around on the windy deck, exploring the boat, and the excitement of the entire trip.
How we pass the time on the ferry:
- Watch the ship leave port. Before the ship picks up speed, it is a delightful way to spend time.
- Breakfast downstairs at our table. They do sell food, but they don't open right away when you get on board. I bring breakfast for the children and some snacks so we don't have to wait.
- Play at the table for a bit. We bring toys similar to when we go to a restaurant - markers and paper, small cars to drive, lacing cards or beads, books to read.
- Toilet break
- Wander around the Boat. Our toddlers love the upper deck, but it is extremely windy. Make sure to dress for cooler weather than you are experiencing on land. They also enjoy walking around the inside part and since a drive always follows our ferry ride, we are eager for them to move around a bit.
- Snack break. This brings them back to the table and after their snack we pull out the toys again for a while or the portable DVD player.
- Toilet break.
- Pack up our bags and head upstairs to watch the boat pull into port.
Our kids love the ferry. It is a little pricey, but for us it is worth it to break up the long car ride.
- Little Movers
- Tiny Tots
Inside or Outside:
*Daily roundtrip service crossing between Milwaukee and Muskegon in just 2-1/2 hours.
*Go below to save seats before you head upstairs to watch the boat leave port. The tables are wonderful to have when you are traveling with children and they get taken up quickly.
*Sea sickness has not been an issue for us on this ferry, but they do sell Dramamine and wrist bands.
*Check the weather before hand and dress appropriately. They will cancel the trip if the water is too rough, but in case of questionable weather make sea sickness precautions.