14+ Free and Cheap Things to Do in Milwaukee WI with Kids
I’m not sure what people think of when they think of Milwaukee. Beer and cheese most likely? Milwaukee often gets overshadowed by Chicago just a short drive to the South, but it is a city in its own right. People, like me, who were born and raised there think of Milwaukee as a fun city with good restaurants, a stunning lake, and some of the best outdoor festivals in the world.
Whether you are visiting for a few days or looking for ways to keep your kids busy on a Tuesday, here are some awesome free and cheap things to do with kids in the Milwaukee Area.
this post is part of the free & cheap series on Stay at Home Mom Survival Guide
Free & Cheap Things to Do with Kids
1. Check out the free family events at the Milwaukee Art Museum.
2. Visit the Urban Ecology Center. Scope out the animals, read books, do a puzzle, slide down a river themed slide, or as a volunteer if you can try a musical instrument by the fire.
3. Go to the library. There are a lot, but the Central Library downtown has an especially impressive children’s section.
4. Take a tour of Jelly Belly. The tour and samples are both free.
5. Visit one of the awesome area museums on their FREE days. These include the Milwaukee Public Museum and the Betty Brinn Children’s Museum.
6. Attend a festival down at the lake front. We loved the Dragon Boat Festival held in July.
7. Go paddle boating at Veteran’s Park.
8. Splash in the water at Atwater Beach.
9. Play at one of the many parks. We love Lake Park, Atwater Park, and Hart Park in Wauwatosa.
10. Listen to music outside at Jazz in the Park.
11. Go fly a kite. Veteran’s Park has a little kite store to pick one up if you don’t have one and a huge space for running.
12. Go on a hike. There are tons of kid friendly spots including; Schlitz Audubon Nature Center, Wehr Nature Center, Harrington Beach, and the Urban Ecology Center.
13. Visit a U-pick farm. Pick apples, pumpkins, strawberries and more in the area.
14. Go to the Bookworm Gardens in Sheboygan.