Birds Unit for Early Elementary School
Birds, sparrows in particular, are one of my daughter’s obsessions this Spring. Interests can come from anywhere and hers usually surprise me the most.
When you think about birds you probably think about Spring and trees. We have birds in our backyard in San Diego that chatter all day.
affiliate links are included below.
That however is not where her love came from.
This Spring her school put on the musical Alice in Wonderland and my daughter was one of the purple tree birds. She became quickly invested in reading everything she could about Alice in Wonderland and learning everything and anything she could about Birds and in particular her bird – the sparrow.
Regardless, surrounded by bird books and building bird feeders is how we found ourselves spending time this Spring.
Bird Unit Ideas
Field Trip Ideas
I believe in field trips for their power to bring concepts and abstract ideas to life for my kids. Here are some field trip ideas for kids interested in birds.
- Head to a local trail or regional park – example: Mission Trails Regional Park and our hunt for hummingbirds.
- Google specific bird watching spots in your area – example: Bird Watching in New York City at the Salt Marsh and my two essentials for hikes with kids.
- Use the amazing BIRDOLOGY book for 30+ activities for exploring animals with preschoolers and up – some right in your own yard or neighborhood.
- The Zoo. Our Zoo (the San Diego Zoo) has incredible bird areas and so do many of the zoos we have visited over the years.
Printables & More to Bring Along:
- Take the ON THE NATURE TRAIL book with you (pictured above) and use their cues to learn about birds in your area.
- Free Birdwatching Tally Sheets from Fantastic Fun and Learning
- Birdwatching Bingo board and other Printables for Bird Observation from Walking by the Way
Back at home or in the classroom, expand and deepen your child’s interest in birds with some of these great activities.
- 10 Best Children’s Books about Birds from My Storytime Corner
- 10+ Children’s Books for Kids Who Love Birds, Squirrels and all Things Up in the Tree + Storytime Activities from My Storytime Corner
- Take this Free Printable Bird Book on your Birding Adventures from Buggy and Buddy
- Put on a Bird Puppet Show with these awesome DIY Bird Marionettes from Red Ted Art
- Bird Seed Sensory Writing Tray from School Time Snippets
- Make your own bird nests with loose materials. from My Storytime Corner
- Dried Flower Bird Craft from Blue Bear Wood
- No Sew Feather Bird Mask from Blue Bear Wood
- Egg Carton Bird Masks from Blue Bear Wood
- Build a Bird Feeder – We got one in our Happy Family Box
- Nesting Birds Mini-Unit from Bambini Travel
- How to Make a Hummingbird Feeder from Growing Up Gabel
- Even More Homemade Bird Feeder and Birdseed Ornaments from Natural Beach Living
- Bird Nest Math Activities – Counting, Addition and Subtraction from Rainy Day Mum
- Find a guidebook to give you more information about the birds you discover.
- Birds and Nests Sensory Bin from Rubber Boots and Elf Shoes
- Observing & Learning Backyard Birds with Free Printables from Natural Beach Living
- Studying Bird Beaks from Pink Stripey Socks
- Build a Nest STEM activity from A Dab of Glue Will Do
- Matching Male and Female Bird Cards from Adventure in a Box
Together these adventures and activities taught my first graders about different varieties of birds and the different ways birds eat, nest, and more.